Propane is used in a variety of applications including grills, patio heaters, furnaces, water heaters, generators, fireplaces and more. Ace Hardware carries a wide array of propane tank refills and new propane tanks for sale to keep all your favorite devices fueled and ready to go.
Read on to learn about the different propane cylinders and propane tank accessories we have in stock to find which products best fit your needs.
Which Propane Cylinder Size Do You Need?
The most common type of gas container is the propane cylinder, which is also referred to as a propane tank. Propane cylinders come in many different shapes and sizes. Whether you're looking to heat your entire home or just fire up your grill, we'll help you find the right propane cylinder for you.
The following is an overview of some of the most common propane cylinder sizes:
- 16-ounce: These small propane tanks are often used to fuel items like tabletop grills and propane torches.
- 20-pound: A popular residential propane cylinder size, these tanks are typically used on propane gas grills, fireplaces and modest household appliances. They hold around five gallons of propane and are fairly lightweight.
- 30-pound: Approximately two feet tall, 30-pound propane cylinders hold around eight gallons of propane and are easily portable.
- 100-pound: A good choice for heating devices like gas cooking ranges and indoor fireplaces, these propane cylinders hold nearly 25 gallons of propane.
Propane Accessories to Maximize Performance and Safety
Stock up on the right propane tank accessories to keep your propane tank properly maintained. Ace offers an extensive line of propane tank accessories, including the following:
These essential propane accessories let you connect your propane-based appliances to your propane cylinders. The adapter ends on propane hoses vary in sizes, so it's important to check for a type that fits your specific tank and appliance.
The best thing about propane hoses is how easy they are to install. When purchasing a new hose, look for materials like high-quality rubber that's durable and strong to prevent the possibility of gas leaks.
Propane Tank Adapters and Fittings
Similar to propane hoses, propane tank adapters and fittings are also designed to make connections between propane tanks and propane-based appliances. Propane tank fittings are located on each end of propane hoses and adapters allow for connections of smaller propane cylinders to larger sizes. The most common propane tank adapter sizes include:
- Acme Valves: These easy-to-use connections can be tightened by hand and have built-in safety features that prevent gas from flowing if the propane tank isn't attached to a device.
- POL Valves: The threads on POL valves are located inside of the connectors and require a wrench for tightening. These valves allow the release of gas even if a device isn't connected to the tank.
- OPD Valves: Overfill Prevention Devices are similar in appearance to Acme valves but they have triangle-shaped handwheels. These valves have internal floats that prevent overfilling.
Propane Regulator Kits
One of the most important components of a propane tank is its propane regulator. Propane regulators control the flow of gas and lower the pressure of the propane tank to the appliance. They serve as safety barriers that help control the flow and distribution of propane gas.
Refilling or Exchanging Propane Tanks
When you are hosting an event or just trying to grill your dinner the last thing you want to encounter is an empty propane tank. When your propane tank starts to get low it is time to start thinking about if you want to refill the tank or exchange the tank for a pre-filled one. At Ace Hardware we give you the freedom to choose which option you prefer - we offer refill services as well as exchange services. Both have options have benefits therefore it really comes down to personal preference.
To help you in deciding the following is a breakdown of the benefits of each:
Benefits of Exchanging Propane Tanks
- Quick and Convenient: Exchanging a propane tank is a quick and painless process. If you are short on time this is the route you want to go as it is quick and easy.
- Odd Hours: Typically you can find exchange stations to swap out your tank at odd hours versus having to find a location during typical business hours.
- Peace of Mind: When you get an exchanged tank you have the peace of mind that the tank should be safety complaint and not expired as the tanks are inspected when they are exchanged. If you do refill your own tanks you should always be careful to check the expiration date of the tank and make sure operating properly.
Benefits Refilling Propane Tanks
- More Cost Effective: Choosing to refill your propane tank can cost less than having it exchanged.
- Can Get More Propane in the Tank: Depending on the vendor’s policy sometimes they are required to leave added space in the top of the tank which can yield a little less propane in the tank versus if you filled it yourself. We do recommend only filling your tank with a safe amount and following the manufacture instructions to help prevent equipment failure.
At your local Ace Hardware we are happy to help you with which ever option you chose and are always happy to help you chose a safe, efficient and cost beneficial option.
From propane tank refills and propane accessories to propane hoses and propane tanks for sale, Ace Hardware has you covered. Shop our selection of propane cylinders and accessories now.